The last few years have seen a massive increase in the popularity and utilization of voice search. With more people on the move and taking their tablets and smartphones along for the ride, voice search is an easy way to use the best features of the internet without having to bury one’s face in their phone. The use of services like Siri, Cortana and Alexa are changing the way people use their devices and the worldwide web as a whole.
Why Voice Search?
The reasons for using voice search are as varied as its users, but most of them seek to answer modern problems. Virtually hands-free in its operation, voice search works for many different scenarios that might otherwise make using the internet challenging or impossible. Some of these include:
- Finding directions while driving
- Looking for suggestions on where to eat once you’ve already left home
- Making plans for the following day from the comfort of bed
- Changing workout music without needing to stop the current activity
- Finding recipes and cooking tips while hands are already occupied with preparing food
These are all tasks that would have been distracting or dangerous just a few years ago, but with the advent and widespread adoption of voice search, there is no longer a need for pause in the midst of busy days. Users can find what they need without slowing down, a perfect match to the kinetic pace at which life now moves.
How Does This Influence Marketing?
Some companies may worry that the local SEO packages they have in place might not be suited to the voice-enabled search engine of today. With a different approach to the language being used in queries and more detailed requests being made, voice capability has certainly changed the game of search engine usage. Optimizing a brand for this is something that SEO professionals are equipped to do. Website managers themselves can strengthen their sites using a few simple suggestions.
- Optimize your website for use on mobile devices. People who use voice search are doing so from their tablet or smart phone. Making sure your website looks good and works well on these devices ensures that customers will have positive regard for your brand from the moment they arrive on the page.
- Learn the natural language patterns of voice search and tailor your site to accommodate them. Whereas search engine usage once meant punching in a few key words without any real sentence structure, voice search utilizes more natural language, more in line with the way we speak. By ensuring that your site still meets the keyword requirements for this new language of search, your company can continue to enjoy high-level returns on SEO investments.
- Remember your SEO basics. Just because the world of search is changing doesn’t mean everything that was once a key factor should be disregarded. In fact, most of the main components of perfecting a site for search engine marketing still stand. These include maintaining a consistent name, addresses and phone number across all pages and online representations of your brand, as well as collecting, updating and displaying positive reviews for your good or service. Remembering these basic principles will keep your business looking timeless and trustworthy among the competition.
Though the world of the search inquiry may be changing, it is prudent to assume that it will continue to be a major factor in how potential consumers find the products and services they need. For this reason, companies with an eye toward marketing success should keep up with the voice trend and be certain that their brand is visible among the noise. In doing so, they will secure their market share in a world that barely has time to be advertised to, anymore. That’s a solid example of modern business sense.